If you’re looking for quick relief- nothing compares to the fast effects of vaping! While we certainly love our tinctures and gummies, sometimes you just can’t wait around for them to kick in.
Whether you’re completely new to vaping, or you’ve been at it for a while: this blog post will go over everything you need to know- plus tips and troubleshooting! Vaping is more complicated than simply chewing up a gummy, but it shouldn’t be daunting or overwhelming once you read this.
What is Vaping?
Vaping is the act of inhaling and exhaling vapor produced by an electronic cigarette, vape pen, or similar device. These devices use a heating element to vaporize a liquid solution, typically called an e-liquid or vape juice. The vapor produced by vaping is inhaled into the lungs and then exhaled, similar to smoking but without having to burn flower. Vaping has gained popularity as an alternative to smoking.
Delta-8 vs. Delta-9 vs. Delta-10: a Quick Overview of the Different Cannabinoids
Delta-8 THC, Delta-9 THC, and Delta-10 THC are all different types of tetrahydrocannabinol, or THC, which is the primary psychoactive compound found in cannabis. However, they differ in their chemical structure, effects, and legality.
- - Most well-known and abundant form of THC found in cannabis,
- - State laws differ- may be decriminalized, medically legal, or recreationally legal. Check your state laws!
- - Illegal federally if the product contains greater than 0.3% Delta-9 THC by weight
- - Legal in all 50 states if the product contains less than 0.3% Delta-9 THC by weight
- - Responsible for most of the plant's psychoactive effects
- - Minor cannabinoid that is similar to delta-9 THC but has a slightly different arrangement of atoms
- - Produced by converting CBD into delta-8 THC through a chemical process
- - Less potent than delta-9 THC, but it still has psychoactive effects.
- - Relaxing, great for helping with sleep, anxiety, pain and more.
- - Legal at the federal level, but some states have banned it. Check your state laws!
- - Minor cannabinoid that is structurally similar to delta-8 and delta-9 THC
- - Less potent than delta-9 THC, but it is still psychoactive
- - Energizing, focusing, and uplifting
- - Great option for daytime use
- - Legal in some states, and illegal in others. Check your state laws!
It's worth noting that the effects of each of these compounds can vary depending on individual factors, such as tolerance and dosage. Listen to your body!
What Ingredients are in a Delta-8 or Delta-10 THC Vape?
The ingredients in Delta-8 THC or Delta-10 THC vape cartridges can vary depending on the manufacturer, but typically they contain:
1. Delta-8 or Delta-10 THC Distillate: This is the primary active ingredient. Delta 8 distillate is a substance extracted from the cannabis plant which has gone through a process of distillation to eliminate all other plant materials and contaminants. The product of this extraction is a thick, sticky residue which depending on how it is processed may have different colors ranging from clear to dark amber.
2. Carrier oil: Some vape liquids contain a carrier oil to make the liquid thinner. This is not a necessary ingredient.
3. Flavorings: Some vape liquids contain natural or artificial flavoring. This is not a necessary ingredient and can sometimes be toxic.
4. Terpenes: Most, but not all cannabis vapes, will have terpenes added. Terpenes are compounds naturally found in cannabis flowers and are responsible for the plant's aroma, and also have therapeutic benefits. Specific terpenes can be added into the vape liquid to mimic the scent, flavor, and effects of different cannabis strains. For example, an “OG Kush” vape cartridge is not made from OG Kush flower, but it is a combination of the THC distillate plus added terpenes that are naturally found in the OG Kush strain (caryophyllene, limonene, and myrcene are the major terpenes in that strain).
It's important to note that some Delta-8 and Delta-10 THC vape cartridges may also contain other additives, such as cutting agents or thickening agents, which can impact the safety and quality of the product. It's always a good idea to research the manufacturer and the ingredients in a product before using it. Some of these additives may be toxic or unregulated.
What do you need to be able to vape?
Option #1: Vape Cartridge + Battery (typically a USB charger will come included with the battery). Batteries are reusable and rechargeable, typically they are a 510 thread which matches the standard 510 thread vape cartridges. Once the liquid is used up in the cartridge, unscrew and replace with a new cartridge!
Option #2: You can get a disposable vape pen - which is an all-in-one device. Typically they are rechargeable, and should come with a USB charger. Once the liquid is used up, these must be thrown out and replaced with a new one.
How does a vape work?
Vapes work by heating up a liquid solution, often called e-liquid or vape juice, to produce a vapor that can be inhaled. The basic components of a vape device include a battery, a heating element or coil, and a tank or cartridge to hold the e-liquid. Here's how it works:
1. The battery: The battery provides power to the vape device and heats up the heating element.
2. The heating element or coil: The heating element is usually made of a metal wire, such as kanthal, which is wrapped around a wick or cotton. When the battery is activated, it sends electricity through the coil, which heats up and vaporizes the liquid.
3. The tank or cartridge: The tank or cartridge holds the liquid. Some tanks or cartridges are refillable, while others are disposable.
4. The inhalation: When a user inhales through the mouthpiece of the device, air is drawn over the heating coil, vaporizing the e-liquid and producing a cloud of vapor that is then inhaled into the lungs.
Some more advanced vape devices may have additional features, such as temperature control, voltage control or adjustable airflow, which can allow for more customization and control over the vaping experience.
How to Vape: Step by Step
Here are the general steps to vape with a basic vape device:
1. Charge the battery: Most vape devices have rechargeable batteries. Before using the device, make sure the battery is fully charged. Most devices have a light or indicator that will let you know when the battery is fully charged.
2. Turn on the device: Most vape devices have a button or switch that you need to press to activate the battery. Some devices are draw-activated, meaning you simply inhale to activate the battery.
3. Inhale: Once the device is turned on, bring the mouthpiece to your lips and inhale slowly and steadily. Depending on the device, you may need to press and hold the button while inhaling.
4. Exhale: After inhaling the vapor, exhale slowly and steadily.
It's important to note that different devices may have different operating instructions, and it's always a good idea to read the manufacturer's instructions carefully before using a new device.
How much should I vape?
First-time consumers should inhale one to three small, easy puffs and exhale gently. The effects of Delta-8 or Delta-10 THC start as fast as 90 seconds. If you do not feel anything after 30 minutes, then take another two to three puffs.
If you are experienced and consider yourself to have a high tolerance, 5 to 6 puffs should be good. Wait 30 minutes before inhaling more.
What are the benefits of vaping versus other methods of consuming cannabis?
- - Fast-acting: Feel effects in as little as 90 seconds
- - Convenient: Vape pens are always ready to go as long as you keep them charged which makes them convenient to take just about anywhere without much preparation
- - Discrete: Vaping cannabis does not emit nearly as strong or as long-lasting of a scent as smoking cannabis does
- - 0 Calories & 0 grams of Sugar: Edibles are great! But if you need to limit calories or sugar, vaping is a great alternative
- - No mess: With smoking also comes ash, kief, resin and crumbs. There’s no mess with vapes.
What to Consider When Choosing a Vape Cartridge
1. Ingredients: Choose a vape cartridge that clearly lists all ingredients. Avoid vapes that contain fillers, cutting agents, artificial flavors and sweeteners. (the vapes we carry at Humble Alternative do not contain any of these unnecessary and potentially toxic ingredients)
2. Cannabinoid Type: First, check your state laws to determine if Delta-8 and Delta-10 are legal in your state. If so, then decide which effect you are looking to achieve and select the corresponding cannabinoid.
Delta-8 THC Effects:
- Euphoria: may produce feelings of euphoria and happiness, similar to delta-9 THC.
- Relaxation: may help to reduce anxiety and stress.
- Pain Relief: pain-relieving properties and may help to reduce inflammation.
- Increased Appetite: may increase appetite and be useful for people who struggle with appetite issues.
- Improved Mood: may improve mood and may be helpful for people who struggle with depression and anxiety.
- Reduced Nausea: has anti-nausea properties and may be useful for people undergoing chemotherapy or experiencing nausea for other reasons.
- Improved Sleep: commonly reported to help users fall asleep quicker and stay asleep longer.
Delta-10 THC Effects:
- Stimulating Effects: Delta-10 THC may have stimulating effects, similar to some strains of cannabis that are high in sativa.
- Energizing Effects: Some users have reported feeling more energetic and alert after consuming delta-10 THC.
- Increased Focus: Delta-10 THC may help some people to focus and concentrate on tasks.
- Mild Psychoactive Effects: Delta-10 THC is thought to have a milder psychoactive effect than delta-9 THC, but it can still produce some euphoric and relaxing effects.
- Appetite Suppression: Some users have reported a decrease in appetite after consuming delta-10 THC.
3. Indica, Sativa or Hybrid: Most Delta-8 and Delta-10 vape cartridges come in a variety of strains. To select your strain, you’ll first want to understand the difference between the Indica, Sativa, and Hybrid classifications.
Indica Definition: Known for their relaxing and sedative effects. They tend to produce a body high that can be calming and soothing. Often recommended for nighttime use, as they can help to promote sleep.
Sativa Definition: Known for their energizing and uplifting effects. They tend to produce a cerebral, heady high that can be euphoric and stimulating. Sativa strains are often recommended for daytime use, as they can help to boost energy and focus.
Hybrid Definition: Hybrid strains of cannabis are created by crossing sativa and indica strains to produce a plant that exhibits characteristics of both. Hybrids can be either sativa-dominant or indica-dominant, depending on the genetics of the parent strains. Hybrid strains can produce a wide range of effects, depending on the specific genetics of the plant.
4. Choose your strain: Once you know whether you want an Indica, Sativa or Hybrid strain, you can look at the individual characteristics of the strain and terpenes to help make your choice. Leafly is a great website which will outline the effects of the majority of commonly used strains. Just type the strain name into the search bar there to learn more!
5. Quality of materials: A high-quality, safe Delta-8-THC cart will be made of premium, heat-resistant materials, like glass, metal (like stainless steel), and ceramic. Avoid cartridges made with plastic (the outer casing of a disposable vape is okay to be plastic, but not the parts in contact with the hemp oil). Plastic can off-gas into your product. Some plastics also absorb terpenes and other elements from the hemp oil, which can make your product less effective.
Is vaping Delta-8 and Delta-10 THC safe?
There's been plenty of speculation about whether vape carts are safe in general. (Note that smoking or vaping anything carries risk, and vaping or smoking Delta-8 may not be the best choice for someone who suffers from respiratory illnesses or otherwise has difficulty breathing. If you’re worried about the safety of vaping Delta-8, talk with your doctor first.)
Some research outright compares the effects of smoking and vaping and suggests that vaping can also be detrimental to lung health, but there’s a catch. Most negative claims involve nicotine vapes and other products used to replace cigarettes, which are often laden with harsh chemicals.
In general, Delta-8-THC vapes that are made with high-quality ingredients may not pose the same level of risk. The key to Delta-8 safety is buying a high-quality product that’s professionally formulated with premium ingredients.
Will I feel high if I vape Delta-8 THC or Delta-10 THC?
Yes. Both of these cannabinoids are psychoactive, but the effects are not as intoxicating as the traditional and well-known cannabinoid, Delta-9 THC. Effects will vary greatly from person to person, and will depend on dosage and tolerance levels.
If I vape Delta-8 or Delta-10, will I fail a drug test?
Yes. While these cannabinoids may be legal in your state, traditional drug tests do not distinguish between Delta-9, Delta-8 or Delta-10 THC. You will test positive for THC.
Where can I find high-quality vapes?
At Humble Alternative, we only supply vapes that pass our high standard for quality. They are 3rd party tested for potency and purity.
Our vapes have:
- - NO Delta-9 THC
- - NO Vegetable Glycerin
- - NO Propylene Glycol
- - NO Polyethylene Glycol,
- - NO Vitamin E
- - NO Medium-chain triglycerides (MCT)
- - NO Sweeteners
- - NO Artificial flavors
- - NO Additives or fillers
- - NO Cutting agents
- - NO Heavy metals
Our customer safety and experience are of the utmost importance to us. for the Finest possible performance and taste, our Delta-8 comes in a high-quality cartridge with:
- - Glass housing
- - Ceramic core
- - Ceramic mouthpiece
Tips & Tricks
Since we only add terpenes to our Delta-8 THC and Delta-10 THC distillate, it is viscous and might get clogged under some conditions.
Here are some tips:
- - Use the warm-up function on the battery if yours has one. Usually can be done with 2 clicks.
- - Store it away from heat or really cold areas to prevent leaking or clogging
- - Store the vape pen upright to prevent clogging
- - Store it out of direct sunlight
- - Do not hold the activate button down for too long
- - Do short and easy puffs to prevent coughing, and for a smoother feel in your throat and lungs
- - Lower the battery voltage for a smoother feel. Many batteries have 3 voltage settings
Troubleshooting: How to fix a clog
1. Use a hair-dryer and gently warm up the cart and flip it upside down.
2. Gently blow into the mouthpiece or use a small and pointy object like a sewing needle, or safety pin, you can easily get into the holes of the mouthpiece in hopes that the clog is somewhere near the top.
3. Once fixed, be sure to store the cartridge upright.
We hope this blog helped answer all your questions and doubts about vaping! If you are still unsure or have questions, please reach out to us at firstname.lastname@example.org for help.